Sunday, September 18, 2005

Going raw: Better for your body?

Interesting article: Going raw: Better for your body?

Hmmm...after posting that article, I noticed the URL starts with "http://acidreflux.msn.com/"

Apparently that section on MSN is sponsored by "Nexium"--a magical purple pill that cures heartburn. So, I checked out another artcle: "What is GERD? Often perceived as heartburn, this chronic condition needs treatment to prevent complications"

It's ALMOST funny to read that artcle. Again, it's straight out of the book I just blogged about called "Selling Sickness."

First, we get the scary statistics: "Millions affected: Statistics on the incidence of heartburn and GERD vary. According to some estimates, 7 percent of Americans have heartburn daily and 14 percent have it at least once a week. Other figures suggest that GERD affects about 20 percent of the adult population in the United States, mostly those in their 40s or older. However, it can affect people of all ages, including children."

Then, we don't even get ONE mention of the fact that the simplest way to stop acid reflux is to quit eating the toxic shit that's CAUSING the reflux. Apparently the only solution is to buy more of their purple pills.

What a wonderful service that company is providing the world, eh?

Grrrr...

2 Comments:

At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I soo heart your blog!! More more....... :)

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Donna Simmons said...

I know that when I eat certain foods, I end up with GERD. So for a few days I eat foods that do not affect me this way. Duh, how simple is that! The purple pill is usually not necessary if we know how to curb our appetites. We know what we can eat and what we can't. It's a matter of personal responsibility. But our society says "Do what you want," and then we look to anything outside ourselves to calm the consequences for bad behavior. That's a no-no in my book.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home